Tuesday, July 25, 2023

The Snares of Death Prevented Me - Psalms 18:5

In Psalms chapter eighteen David said, “I will love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from my enemies. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid”, and in chapter eighteen and verse five of Psalms David said, the snares of death prevented me” where we read,

The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.

The verse begins, The sorrows of hell compassed me, .... David began with the words, “The sorrows of hell” which means “the ropes, territories, bands and cords belonging to sheol, the underworld, the grave and the pit” “compassed me” or “surrounded and encompassed me, David”. David shared how the bands and cords of the “underworld and grave” surrounded him.

The verse goes on to say,the snares of death prevented me David continued with the words, “the snares of death” or “the bait, lure and hook to be ensnared pertaining to dying, pestilence and ruin” “prevented me” which means “confronted, forestalled, preceded and anticipated me, David”. David wrote how the “bait and trap” of “dying” confronted him as well.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how David was concerned about “the grave and dying”. King Saul desired to eliminate David, and the threat of death and the tomb were constant confrontations to his mind. David appealed to Jehovah God even in the midst of dying, and because God knew and cared about David intimately, He was the best source for which to bring those fears. God knows life on earth is temporary, so He sent His only begotten Son Jesus to die on the cross for the sins of everyone so they may live eternally with Him. God loves people, and although “death and the grave” await every person, everlasting life with God may be obtained by believing and trusting in His Son Jesus.

Next time David says, in my distress I called upon the LORD, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment