Thursday, July 20, 2023

The LORD is My Portion - Psalms 16:5

In Psalms chapter sixteen David wrote, “Preserve me, O God: for in you do I put my trust. O my soul, you have said unto the LORD, you are my Lord: my goodness extends not to you. But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight. Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips”, and in chapter sixteen and verse five of Psalms David said, “ the LORD is the portion of my inheritance” where we read,

The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and of my cup: you maintain my lot.

The verse begins, The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and of my cup: David began with the words, “The LORD” which means “Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God” “is the portion” or “exists as the part and lot” “of my inheritance” which means “belonging to my, David's, portion, share, part and territory” “and of my cup” or “and pertaining to my, David's, container or cup-like cavity of an owl's eye”. David said Jehovah God was his lot, part, share and territory in his ability to contain things.

The verse continues,you maintain my lot. David added the words, “you maintain” or “you, Jehovah God, support, attain, lay hold of and grasp” “my lot” which means “my, David's, portion, recompense and retribution”. David said Jehovah God was the keeper of his portion.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see through David how Jehovah God was responsible for whatever he obtained in his life, and Jehovah God was also the keeper of that portion. In Psalms chapter twenty-four and verse one David wrote, “The earth is the LORD'S, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.” In other words, everything belongs to Him. God distributes portions of what He owns to people in the world, and as Paul the apostle wrote, “For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.” (See 1 Timothy 6:7) Job said, “Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there: the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” (See Job 1:21) God gives us life, breath and the ability to know Him through His Son Jesus, and anyone who yields their life to Him will be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life with Him. We are wise to understand our portions and allotments come from Jehovah God and learn to be grateful for all He provides and “maintains”.

Next time David says, The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment