Sunday, June 16, 2024

For Love They are My Adversaries - Psalms 109:4

In Psalms one hundred nine David said, “Hold not your peace, O God of my praise; For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue. They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause”, and in chapter one hundred nine and verse four of Psalms David said, “for my love they are my adversaries” where we read,

For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto prayer.

The verse begins, For my love they are my adversaries: David began with the words, “ for my love” or “because, since and on account of my, David's, affection and love” “they are my adversaries” which means “they, the people who are deceitful, lying and warring against David, exist as my, David's, resistance, opposition and accusation”. David said even though he loved the people who rose up against him, they existed as his resistance and opposition.

The verse continues, “but I give myself unto prayer.” David added the words, “but I give myself” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover I, David, devote, commit and consecrate myself, David's own self” “unto prayer” which means “to supplication and intercession”. David said his response to the wearisome ways of his “adversaries” was to commit himself to supplication and intercession to Jehovah God.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how David did not deny his situation with his hating foes, and even though he loved them, they continued to give him grief. Davids' response, however, was not to “fight back” against them in person, but rather to dedicate himself to intercession and supplication to God. In other words, God was his defense. David knew God would take care of the people who hated him, and God offers the same protection to everyone who will yield themselves to His Son Jesus who came into the world to be crucified for the sins of all mankind. When we humble ourselves before Jesus, repent of our sins, ask Him to forgive us and surrender to Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and promise to contend with anyone who becomes our “adversary”.

Next time David says, “they have rewarded me evil for good”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment