Thursday, October 3, 2024

Cut Off My Enemies - Psalms 143:12

In Psalms one hundred and forty three David said to Jehovah God, “Quicken me, O LORD, for your name's sake: for your righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble”, and in chapter one hundred and forty three and verse twelve of Psalms David said to Jehovah God, of your mercy cut off my enemieswhere we read,

And of your mercy cut off my enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am your servant.

The verse begins, And of your mercy cut off my enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: David began with the words, “and of your mercy” or “and pertaining to your, Jehovah God's, goodness, kindness and faithfulness” “cut off my enemies” which means “destroy, put an end to, extirpate and exterminate my, David's, hating foes and adversaries”, “and destroy all them” or “and perish, vanish, make go astray and exterminate each, every, the whole and everyone of the people whether male or female” “that afflict my soul” which means “who bind, distress, make narrow, besiege and straiten my, David's heart, mind, will, desires, conscience, living being and seat of emotions and affections”. David wanted Jehovah God to employ his goodness and kindness to put an end to his hating foes and adversaries, and he wanted God to eliminate everyone who distressed and besieged his heart, mind and will.

The verse continues, “for I am your servant.” David added the words, “for I” or “because, since and on account that I, David” “am your servant” which means “exist as your, Jehovah God's, bondman, man of servile condition and worshiper”. David said the reason Jehovah God should put an end to his hating foes and eliminate everyone who distressed his heart was because David was God's bondman and worshiper.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David knew that Jehovah God would be merciful toward him and exterminate his hating foes. He would also eliminate everyone who caused him distress within his heart, mind and will. David declared himself to be God's bondman and worshiper, and because he had this type of relationship with God, he could appeal to Him for His help. God wants to have a personal intimate relationship with all of us through His Son Jesus, and when we yield our lives to Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and contend with those who are our “enemies” and “afflict” our souls.

Next time we begin a new chapter and see David say, Blessed be the LORD my strength, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment