Tuesday, October 1, 2024

The Enemy Has Persecuted My Soul - Psalms 143:3

In Psalms one hundred and forty three David said, “Hear my prayer, O LORD, give ear to my supplications: in your faithfulness answer me, and in your righteousness. And enter not into judgment with your servant: for in your sight shall no man living be justified”, and in chapter one hundred and forty three and verse three of Psalms David said the enemy has persecuted my soul;” where we read,

For the enemy has persecuted my soul; he has smitten my life down to the ground;

he has made me to dwell in darkness, as those that have been long dead.

The verse begins, For the enemy has persecuted my soul; he has smitten my life down to the ground; David began with the words, “for the enemy” or “because, since and on account that the hating foe and adversary” “has persecuted my soul” which means “has followed after, pursued, run after and harassed my, David's, heart, mind, will, desires, living being, conscience and seat of emotions and passions”; “he has smitten my life” or “he, David's enemies, have crushed, broken, shattered, bruised and destroyed my, David's, flowing, active and fresh living” “down to the ground” which means “toward the land, earth and piece of ground”. David shared how his hating foe not only pursued and harassed him, but also shattered and broke him down toward the ground.

The verse goes on to say, “he has made me to dwell in darkness, as those that have been long dead.” David continued with the words, “he has made me” or “he, David's hating adversary, has caused, set, put and settled me, David” “to dwell in darkness” which means “to live, abide and remain within secrecy, hiding, the grave or a dark region”, “as those that have been long dead” or “similar to people who have been killed, executed and put to death”. David said his hating foe and adversary caused him to live in a dark region like unto people who have been put to death.

When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how David wanted Jehovah God to rescue Him from his foe. This adversary not only harassed him, but continually struck him toward the ground and caused him to live in a dark place that was like people who have been put to death. David was distressed. David was overwhelmed, and David was oppressed by his “enemy”, and yet, He knew to call out to Jehovah God for help. God knows us as well, and He loves us. He knew we would encounter great difficulties and opposition, and so He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we yield to Him as our personal “Lord and Savior”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and rescue us from those who are spiritually and physically against us in this world.

Next time David says, my spirit overwhelmed within me, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment