Sunday, August 18, 2024

Calling Upon the LORD in Distress - Psalms 120:1

Psalms one hundred twenty begins with the phrase, “A Song of Degrees” which breaks down “A Song” or “a musical lyric or interlude” “of Degrees” which means “pertaining to steps, stairs or ascent”. The “songs of ascent” were employed when the the people of Israel would come three times annually to Jerusalem, and they were marching songs for the people of Israel as they worshiped the Lord. In chapter one hundred and twenty and verse one of Psalms the Psalmist said, “in my distress, I called upon the LORD” where we read,

In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me.

The verse begins, In my distress I cried unto the LORD, The Psalmist began with the words, “in my distress” or “within my, the Psalmist's, affliction, adversity, anguish and tribulation” “I cried unto the LORD” which means “I, the Psalmist, uttered a loud sound, called for help, proclaimed, summoned, invited and made appointment Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God”. The Psalmist shared how he called out to Jehovah God at the time he was in affliction and adversity.

The verse goes on to say, “and he heard me. The Psalmist continued with the words, “and he” or “and he, Jehovah God” “heard me” which means “answered and responded to me, the Psalmist”. The Psalmist shared how Jehovah God responded to him when he called out to Him.

When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how the Psalmist was in trouble, and he called out to God for help. God listened to the Psalmist, and He is aware of us when we call out to Him. God loves us, and He proved His love to us when He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for our sins. Because we have sinned, we are and will be in “distress” for all eternity until we surrender our lives to Him, When we yield to Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and listen to us when we humble ourselves and cry out to Him in our trouble.

Next time the Psalmist says, “deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment