Friday, August 30, 2024

Not Prevailing Against Me - Psalms 129:2

In Psalms one hundred twenty-nine the Psalmist said, “Many a time have they afflicted me from my youth, may Israel now say”, and in chapter one hundred and twenty-nine and verse two of Psalms the Psalmist said, “they have not prevailed against me” where we read,

Many a time have they afflicted me from my youth: yet they have not prevailed against me.

The verse begins, “Many a time have they afflicted me from my youth: The Psalmist began with the words, “many a time” or “a great, abounding and numerous amount of accounts” “have they afflicted me” which means “have they, the people who were as enemies and adversaries bound, narrowed, distressed, besieged and straitened me, the Psalmist” “from my youth” or “from the time of my, the Psalmist's, childhood or early life”. The Psalmist repeated the idea of the numerous accounts from the time he was a child when his opposition bound and distressed him.

The verse goes on to say, “yet they have not prevailed against me. The Psalmist continued with the words, “yet they have not prevailed” or “still they, the people who were as enemies and adversaries to the Psalmist, in no way or manner have endured, overcome or been as victor” “against me” which means “in opposition to me, the Psalmist”. The Psalmist said even though people rose up in opposition to him, they in no way prevailed or overcame him.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how the Psalmist repeated the phrase concerning people who rose up in opposition to him from the time he was a child, and this time he shared how they in no way overcame him. God was the defense and protection of the Psalmist, and because God was with him, no enemy could prevail. In the same manner, God desires to have a personal relationship with us through His Son Jesus who died on the cross for our sins. When we surrender our lives to Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and protect us from those who “afflict” us according to His Divine purpose and will.

Next time the Psalmist says, “the plowers plowed upon my back”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment