Monday, August 19, 2024

Woe that I Sojourn in Mesech - Psalms 120:5

In Psalms one hundred twenty the Psalmist asked, “What shall be given unto you? or what shall be done unto you, you false tongue? Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper”, and in chapter one hundred and twenty and verse five of Psalms the Psalmist said, “woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech” where we read,

Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar!

The verse begins, Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, ... The Psalmist began with the words, “woe is me” or “alas, lamentation and misery exists, me, the Psalmist”, “that I sojourn” which means “that I, the Psalmist, abide, dwell, remain and inhabit for a time” “in Mesech” or “within Mesech whose name means drawing out and was the son of Japheth, grandson of Noah, and progenitor of peoples to the north of Israel”. The Psalmist said he was in lamentation because he was dwelling within the land of “Mesch” in the north part of Israel.

The verse goes on to say, “... that I dwell in the tents of Kedar! The Psalmist continued with the words, “that I dwell” or “that I, the Psalmist, settle down, abide, tabernacle and reside” “in the tents” which means “within the wilderness dwellings, homes and habitations” “of Kedar” or “belonging to Kedar whose name means dark and was a son of Ishmael and refers to the descendants of Ishmael”. The Psalmist also lamented over the fact that he settled down within the temporary dwelling places occupied by the descendants of Ishmael.

When we consider the Psalmist's words in this verse, we learn how he lamented over where he lived. Not only was he living in the land of “Mesech”, but he was also abiding among the temporary dwelling places of “Kedar” who were the descendants of Ishmael. In other words, the Psalmist was in sorrow over where he lived and with the people with whom he was dwelling. God loves people, and He knows where they live and the people who surround them. When these people are deceitful and false, it is difficult to abide with them. God knew mankind needed a “Savior”, and because all people sinned against Him, He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross for their sins. When they and we believe and trust in Him as our “Lord and Savior”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and be with us even when the people around us make us lament.

Next time the Psalmist says, “my soul has long dwelt with him that hates peace”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment