Monday, August 12, 2024

My Eyes Prevent the Night Watches - Psalms 119:148

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in your word”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse one hundred forty-eight of Psalms the Psalmist said to Jehovah God, “my eyes prevent the night watches” where we read,

My eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in your word.

The verse begins, My eyes prevent the night watches, …. The Psalmist began with the words, “my eyes” or “my, the Psalmist's, physical eyes” “prevent the night watches” which means “meets, comes, is in front of, confronts and goes before the nighttime watch or guarding time”. The Psalmist referred to how his physical eyes caused him to loose sleep during the nighttime guarding hours.

The verse continues, “... that I might meditate in your word. The Psalmist added the words, “that I might meditate” or “so I, the Psalmist, may muse, commune, speak, complain and ponder” “in your word” which means “within your, Jehovah God's, speech, utterance, construct and commandment”. The Psalmist said his “eyes prevented the night watches” so he could ponder the utterance and commandments of Jehovah God.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we discover how the “eyes” of the Psalmist kept him awake during the nighttime hours. He spent this time pondering God's “word”, and there is no better way to spend that time. God gave us His “word” for our provision and protection, and He provided His Only Begotten Son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins. When we surrender our lives to Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and teach us the value of pondering His “word” even in the nighttime hours.

Next time the Psalmist says to Jehovah God, “hear my voice according unto your lovingkindness”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment