Sunday, August 4, 2024

Afflicted Very Much - Psalms 119:107

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep your righteous judgments”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse one hundred and seven of Psalms the Psalmist said, “I am afflicted very much” where we read,

I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto your word.

The verse begins, “I am afflicted very much: The Psalmist began with the words, “I am afflicted” or “I, the Psalmist, exist as occupied, busied with, troubled, oppressed and bowed down ” “very much” which means “to an exceeding and diligently good and mighty amount”. The Psalmist referred to his exceedingly great suffering and oppression.

The verse goes on to say, “quicken me, O LORD, according unto your word. The Psalmist continued with the words, “quicken me” or “sustain, make live and keep me, the Psalmist, alive”, “O LORD” which means “O Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God”, “according unto your word” or “in keeping with your, Jehovah God's, utterance, speech, manner and acts”. The Psalmist appealed to Jehovah God to sustain his life in keeping with His utterances and acts.

When we think through the words in this verse, we discover how the Psalmist appealed to Jehovah God in the midst of his excessive suffering. God knows when we have troublesome times, and He wants us to appeal to Him for life when we are in tribulation. Jesus said, These things I have spoken unto you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (See John 16:33), so He knew we would have troubles and He is the solution. Jesus came into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and give us the best life available in keeping with His promise to do so.

Next time the Psalmist says to Jehovah God, “accept … the freewill offerings of my mouth”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment