Sunday, August 4, 2024

Swearing and Performing - Psalms 119:106

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said to Jehovah God, “Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse one hundred and six of Psalms the Psalmist said, “I have sworn, and I will perform it” where we read,

I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep your righteous judgments.

The verse begins, “I have sworn, and I will perform it, ... The Psalmist began with the words, “I have sworn” or “I, the Psalmist, have taken an oath, adjured and made a declaration seven times”, “and will perform it” which means “and shall rise, stand up, endure and be fixed to that which the Psalmist adjured and took oath”. The Psalmist said he took an oath and vowed to rise up and fulfill it.

The verse continues, “... that I will keep your righteous judgments. The Psalmist added the words, “that I will keep” or “that, the oath made by the Psalmist, shall guard, watch over, observe, give heed to and maintain charge of” “your righteous judgments” which means “your, Jehovah God's, just, right and normal justice, ordinance and acts of deciding a case”. The Psalmist vowed to watch over and observe the right and normal ordinances of Jehovah God.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how the Psalmist knew the importance of making and keeping an oath made to Jehovah God, and he desired to observe His righteous ordinances. God wants an intimate personal relationship with every person, and He gave His Son Jesus to the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and give us the ability not only to make declarations to Him, but also to stand up and keep His “righteous” ordinances.

Next time the Psalmist says, “I am afflicted very much”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment