Thursday, August 1, 2024

Delighted in God's Law - Psalms 119:92

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven. Your faithfulness is unto all generations: you have established the earth, and it abides. They continue this day according to your ordinances: for all are your servants, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse ninety-two of Psalms the Psalmist told what would happen, “unless your law had been my delights” where we read,

Unless your law had been my delights, I should then have perished in my affliction.

The verse begins, Unless your law had been my delights, ... The Psalmist began with the words, “unless your law” or “except that your, Jehovah God's, direction, instruction, ordinance and commandment” “had been my delights” which means “existed as my, the Psalmist's, enjoyment and pleasure”. The Psalmist considered what would have happened if he did not have Jehovah God's commandment as his pleasure and enjoyment.

The verse continues, “... I should then have perished in my affliction.” The Psalmist added the words, “I should then” or “I, the Psalmist, would therefore, wherefore and on this account” “have perished” which means “have vanished, gone astray and been destroyed” “in my affliction” or “within my, the Psalmist's, poverty, misery, depression and trouble”. The Psalmist said if Jehovah God's commandment would not have been his pleasure, he would have gone astray and been destroyed in the midst of his depression and trouble.

When we consider the words in this verse, we discover how the Psalmist considered Jehovah God's commandments to be what gave him enjoyment, and God's word sustained him in his trouble and depression. God knew there would be conditions in our lives that would “afflict” us, and when these times arrive, we can rely upon His word. God loves us, and He proved His love by sending His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we yield our lives to Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and remind us of His “law” whenever we suffer “afflictions” and trouble.

Next time the Psalmist says, “I will never forget your precepts”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment