Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Hold Me Up and I Shall Be Safe - Psalms 119:117

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “Uphold me according unto your word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse one hundred and seventeen the Psalmist said to Jehovah God, “hold you me up, and I shall be safe” where we read,

Hold you me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto your statutes continually.

The verse begins, “Hold you me up, and I shall be safe: The Psalmist began with the words, “hold you me up” or “you, Jehovah God, support, sustain, establish, strengthen and comfort me, the Psalmist”, “and I shall be safe” which means “and I, the Psalmist, will exist as saved, delivered, liberated and victorious”. The Psalmist appealed to Jehovah God to sustain him so he would be delivered, liberated and made secure.

The verse goes on to say, “and I will have respect unto your statutes continually. The Psalmist continued with the words, “and I will have respect” or “and I, the Psalmist, shall regard, behold, gaze and give consideration” “unto your statutes” which means “to your, Jehovah God's, ordinances, decrees, laws, appointments, customs and bounds” “continually” or “perpetually, continuously and constantly”. The Psalmist declared that he would regard and give consideration to the commandments and laws in perpetuity.

When we think through the words in this verse, we discover how the Psalmist wanted Jehovah God to sustain his life because he knew he would be victorious and secure with God's protection. We should realize God desires to do the same for us, and He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for our sins to prove it. When we believe and trust in Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and teach us by His Holy Spirit how to regard His commandments and laws in this life and in Heaven to come. (See John 16:13)

Next time the Psalmist says to Jehovah God, “your have trodden down all them that err”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment