Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Upheld According to God's Word - Psalms 119:116

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “Depart from me, you evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse one hundred and sixteen of Psalms the Psalmist said, “uphold me according to your word” where we read,

Uphold me according unto your word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.

The verse begins, “Uphold me according unto your word, that I may live: The Psalmist began with the words, “uphold me” or “support, sustain, refresh and revive me, the Psalmist” “according unto your word” which means “in keeping with your, Jehovah God's, utterance, speech and commandment”, “that I may live” or “so I, the Psalmist, may remain alive, be quickened, live prosperously and restored to life”. The Psalmist appealed to Jehovah God to sustain his life in keeping with his utterance and commandment.

The verse continues, “and let me not be ashamed of my hope . The Psalmist added the words, “and let me not be ashamed” or “and do not allow or permit me, the Psalmist, to exist as disconcerted, disappointed and put to shame” “of my hope” which means “pertaining to my, the Psalmist's, anticipation and expectation”. The Psalmist beckoned Jehovah God not to allow him to exist as disconcerted because of his expectation of Jehovah God's “word”.

When we think through the Psalmist's words in this verse, we learn how how he appealed to Jehovah God for sustaining his life, and he did not want to experience “shame” because he put his faith and trust in what God has said. God gave us life, and He decides how and when to sustain it. He desires to have a personal relationship with us through His Son Jesus who died on the cross for our sins, and when we yield our lives to Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and help us to remain alive as we put our faith and hope in His “word”.

Next time the Psalmist says to Jehovah God, “hold you me up, and I shall be safe”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment