Monday, August 5, 2024

I Hate Vain Thoughts - Psalms 119:113

Psalms one hundred nineteen and verse one hundred and thirteen begins the next section of this chapter with the Hebrew letter “SAMECH” where the Psalmist said, “I hate vain thoughts” where we read,

I hate vain thoughts: but your law do I love.

The verse begins, “I hate vain thoughts: The Psalmist began with the words, “I hate” or “I, the Psalmist, exist as an enemy and foe to” “vain thoughts” which means “empty, ambivalent, divided and halfhearted minds and thinking”. The Psalmist declared his “hatred” for empty and worthless thinking.

The verse goes on to say, “but your law do I love. The Psalmist continued with the words, “but your law” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover your, Jehovah God's, commandments, directions, instruction and codes of law” “do I love” which means “for which I, the Psalmist, have affection, tenderness and fondness”. The Psalmist said he had affection and great fondness for Jehovah God's instruction and codes of law.

When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how the Psalmist detested empty and ambivalent thinking, and in contrast, he deeply “loved” the instruction and direction of God. God gave us His law for our benefit, and when we observe what He has to say, we have protection and provision for our lives. We have the opportunity to have a personal relationship with Jehovah God through His Son Jesus who died on the cross for our sins, and when we believe and trust in Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and teach us to “love” His “law” as we loathe thinking that is empty and “vain”.

Next time the Psalmist says to Jehovah God, “you are my hiding place and my shield”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment