Saturday, August 3, 2024

Understanding More than the Ancients - Psalms 119:100

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “I have more understanding than all my teachers: for your testimonies are my meditation”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse one hundred of Psalms the Psalmist said, “I understand more than the ancients” where we read,

I understand more than the ancients, because I keep your precepts.

The verse begins, I understand more than the ancients, ... The Psalmist began with the words, “I understand” or “I, the Psalmist, discern, consider, perceive, distinguish, give heed to and have insight” “more than the ancients” which means “to a greater degree than older, aged and elder people”. The Psalmist shared how he had a greater degree of insight than aged and elder people from old.

The verse continues, “... because I keep your precepts. The Psalmist added the words, “because I keep” or “since and on account that I, the Psalmist, watch over, guard and observe” “your precepts” which means “your, Jehovah God's, statutes, commandments and law”. The Psalmist said the reason he had greater discernment than people who were aged and elder was on account that he watched over and observed Jehovah God's commandments and law.

When we think through the Psalmist's words in this verse, we learn how he valued the insight of the word of God. The Psalmist became wiser than people who were his elders because He observed God's law, and the same is available to everyone who desires to have a personal intimate relationship with God. God sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we yield our lives to Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and inspire us to observe His commandments for all the days of our lives.

Next time the Psalmist says, “I have refrained my feet from every evil way”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment