Wednesday, September 18, 2024

If I Don't Remember or Prefer Jerusalem - Psalms 137:6

In Psalms one hundred thirty seven the Psalmist said, “If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning, and in chapter one hundred thirty seven and verse six of Psalms the Psalmist shared what should happen, “If I do not remember” Jerusalem where we read,

If I do not remember you, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth;

if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.

The verse begins, “If I do not remember you, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; The Psalmist began with the words, “if I do not remember you” or “whether and in case I, the Psalmist, do not call to mind, bring to memory or have remembrance of you, Jerusalem”, “let my tongue” which means “allow and permit my, the Psalmist's, wedge in his mouth used for eating and speaking” “cleave to the roof” or “stick close to, overtake and be joined to the palate, taste or gums” “of my mouth” which means “belonging to my, the Psalmist's, orifice in the face used for eating, drinking and speaking”. The Psalmist said in case he did not bring to mind Jerusalem, he wanted the tongue in his mouth to be joined to the palate inside.

The verse goes on to say, “if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy. The Psalmist continued with the words, “if I prefer not Jerusalem” or “”whether and in case I, the Psalmist, do not ascend, spring up, rise, excel and make superior Jerusalem whose name means teaching of peace and is the chief city of Palestine and capital of the united kingdom and the nation of Judah after the split” “above my chief joy” which means “over and beyond my, the Psalmist's, head, top, summit, upper part and height of mirth, gladness, gaiety and pleasure”. The Psalmist included the idea of him not making “Jerusalem” to be exalted over and beyond his greatest pleasure and gladness.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist continued to resolve to keep “Jerusalem” in an exalted position within his life. If he forgot “Jerusalem”, he thought his “tongue” should be stuck to the top of his “mouth” because he knew “Jerusalem” must be more important to him than any other pleasure. The Psalmist relayed his love and compassion toward “Jerusalem”, and God loves “Jerusalem” as well. “Jerusalem” is where His Son Jesus was to die on the cross to pay for the sins of the entire world, and in “Jerusalem”, Jesus rose from the dead to provide eternal life to all who believe in Him. God wants us to know His passion toward “Jerusalem”, and He wants us to know He loves us too. Let us give Jehovah God and His Son Jesus honor, glory and praise for their love of “Jerusalem” and their love for us as well.

Next time the Psalmist says, “remember, O LORD, the children of Edom”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment