Saturday, September 21, 2024

Surely the Darkness Shall Cover Me - Psalms 139:11

In Psalms one hundred and thirty nine David asked Jehovah God, “Where shall I go from your spirit? or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend up into heaven, you are there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall your hand lead me, and your right hand shall hold me”, and in chapter one hundred and thirty nine and verse eleven of Psalms David said, surely the darkness shall cover mewhere we read,

If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

The verse begins, “If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; David began with the words, “if I say” or “ whether and in case I, David, utter, declare and proclaim”, “surely the darkness” which means “verily and truly obscurity, misery, destruction, sorrow and wickedness” “shall cover me” or “will bruise, crush and overwhelm me, David”. David considered the idea of saying that obscurity would overwhelm him.

The verse goes on to say, “even the night shall be light about me. David continued with the words, “even the night” or “also and indeed the darkened nighttime” “shall be light about me” which means “will exist as illumination and brightness compassing and surrounding him”. David said the nighttime hours would exist like brightness to David when the presence of Jehovah God surrounded him.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David considered being in the dark of night, but even in that place God's illumination would surround him. God was constantly with David, and regardless of where he was in the world or the time of day, God's presence was there. God is with us as well even as Paul the apostle said, “For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.” (See Acts 17:28) God wants to have an intimate personal relationship with us through His Son Jesus who was crucified on the cross for our sins. When we surrender our lives to Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and accompany us even when “darkness covers” us and the nighttime comes.

Next time David says, the darkness hides not from you, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment