Thursday, July 25, 2024

Entreating Favor - Psalms 119:58

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “you are my portion, O LORD. I have said that I would keep your words”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse fifty-eight of Psalms the Psalmist said, “I entreated your favor with my whole heart” where we read,

I entreated your favor with my whole heart: be merciful unto me according to your word.

The verse begins, “I entreated your favor with my whole heart: The Psalmist began with the words, “I entreated your favor” or “I, the Psalmist, became weak, sick and sore toward your, Jehovah God's, presence, countenance and face” “with my whole heart” which means “by the use of my, the Psalmist', entire, total and complete soul, mind, will, desires, living being and seat of emotions and passions”. The Psalmist shared how he humbled himself with all his soul as a weakened person to seek the presence and countenance of Jehovah God.

The verse goes on to say, “be merciful unto me according to your word.” The Psalmist continued with the words, “be merciful unto me” or “show favor, grace, pity and compassion to me, the Psalmist” “according to your word” which means “in keeping with your, Jehovah God's, utterance, speech and commandment”. The Psalmist appealed to Jehovah God to show him favor in keeping with His speech and commandment.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist desired to be blessed with the presence and grace of Jehovah God. He pled for God to extend His unmerited favor toward him because the very nature of God is to be gracious, merciful and kind. God is faithful to every person who humbly comes to Him through His Son Jesus who died on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and demonstrate His abundant mercy and favor toward us for all eternity.

Next time the Psalmist says, “I thought on my ways”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment