Sunday, July 21, 2024

Give Me Understanding to Keep God's Law - Psalms 119:34

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “I will run the way of your commandments, when you shall enlarge my heart”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse thirty-four of Psalms the Psalmist said, “Give me understanding, and I shall keep your law” where we read,

Give me understanding, and I shall keep your law; yes, I shall observe it with my whole heart.

The verse begins, Give me understanding, and I shall keep your law; The Psalmist began with the words, “give me understanding” or “provide, grant and bestow to me, the Psalmist, perception, discernment, observation and consideration”, “and I shall keep your law” which means “and I, the Psalmist, will guard, watch over, preserve and observe your, Jehovah God's, direction, instruction, codes of law, manner and customs”. The Psalmist appealed to Jehovah God to provide him with discernment and perception, and he would employ them to watch over and preserve God's code of laws and manners.

The verse continues, “yes, I shall observe it with my whole heart.” The Psalmist added the words, “yes, I shall observe it” or “even so and indeed, I, the Psalmist, will guard, give heed to, watch over and protect it, the law of God” “with my whole heart” which means “by the use of my, the Psalmist's, entire soul, mind, will, desires, living being, conscience and seat of emotions and passions”. The Psalmist asserted that he would watch over and preserve God's law with all his living being when God gave him “understanding”.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist beckoned Jehovah God for “discernment” within His word. This desire should be in all of us, and when God sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for our sins, He proved His love and passion for having this type of intimate relationship with us. God wants to “give us understanding” in His “law”, and when we surrender to Him, He will help us observe it as He forgives our sins, grants us everlasting life and brings us into fellowship with Him and His word for all eternity.

Next time the Psalmist says, “make me to go in the path of your commandments”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment