Monday, July 22, 2024

I Have Longed After God's Precepts - Psalms 119:40

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “Establish your word unto your servant, who is devoted to your fear. Turn away my reproach which I fear: for your judgments are good”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse forty of Psalms the Psalmist said, “I have longed for your precepts” where we read,

Behold, I have longed after your precepts: quicken me in your righteousness.

The verse begins, Behold, I have longed after your precepts: The Psalmist began with the words, “Behold, I have longed after” or “lo, look and consider, I, the Psalmist, have desired and been passionate for” “your precepts” which means “your, Jehovah God's, statutes, appointments and commandments”. The Psalmist called upon Jehovah God to observe how he was passionate for His statutes and commandments.

The verse continues, “quicken me in your righteousness.” The Psalmist added the words, “quicken me” or “cause me, the Psalmist, to remain alive, sustained and restored to health” “in your righteousness” which means “within your, Jehovah God's, justice, rightness, truthfulness and law”. The Psalmist appealed to Jehovah God to make him alive within His rightness and justice.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist wanted Jehovah God to notice how he passionately desired His commandments, and he wanted God to make him alive in His justice and truthfulness. God desires this for all people, and He sent His Son Jesus into the world not only to live as a perfect example of one who kept His “precepts”, but also gave His life on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and make us alive within His right and just ways and manner.

Next time we begin the fifth section of Psalms one hundred nineteen which employs the Hebrew letter “VAU” where the Psalmist says, “let your mercies come also unto me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment