Sunday, July 28, 2024

It is Good to Be Afflicted - Psalms 119:71

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “Their heart is as fat as grease; but I delight in your law”, and in chapter one hundred and nineteen and verse seventy-one of Psalms the Psalmist said, “it is good for me that I have been afflicted” where we read,

It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn your statutes.

The verse begins, It is good for me that I have been afflicted; The Psalmist began with the words, “it is good for me” or “the following exists as pleasant, agreeable, excellent, rich, appropriate and valuable on behalf of me, the Psalmist” “that I have been afflicted” which means “that I, the Psalmist, have been oppressed, humbled, bowed down and become low”. The Psalmist said it was a pleasant and agreeable thing that he experienced conditions of humility and oppression.

The verse goes on to say, “that I might learn your statutes.” The Psalmist continued with the words, “that I might learn” or “so I, the Psalmist, may be taught, exercised, goaded and made skillful within” “your statutes” which means “your, Jehovah God's, ordinances, limits, resolves, and prescribed tasks and portions”. The Psalmist said his “affliction” caused him to be taught and made skillful in the ordinances and resolves of Jehovah God.

When we consider the Psalmist's words in this verse, we discover how he responded to suffering “affliction”. He acknowledged his suffering but saw that Jehovah God used it to teach him His ways. God's desire is to have a personal intimate relationship with every person, but sin, error and wrong has separated us from Him. He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we yield our lives to Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and use our oppression and humility to instruct us in His ordinances and ways.

Next time the Psalmist says to Jehovah God, “the law of your mouth is better to me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment