Saturday, July 27, 2024

I Went Astray Before I Was Afflicted - Psalms 119:67

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed your commandments”, and in chapter one hundred and nineteen and verse sixty-seven of Psalms the Psalmist said, “before I was afflicted I went astray” where we read,

Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept your word.

The verse begins, “Before I was afflicted I went astray: The Psalmist began with the words, “before I was afflicted” or “preceding and in advance I, the Psalmist, became oppressed, humbled, bowed down, depressed and cast down” “I went astray” which means “I, the Psalmist, erred, committed sin and was ignorant and deceived”. The Psalmist said in advance of the time he was humbled and cast down, he was deceived and separated from God.

The verse continues, “but now have I kept your word.” The Psalmist added the words, “but now have I kept” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover at this time I, the Psalmist, have guarded, watched over and observed” “your word” which means “your, Jehovah God's, utterance, speech and commandment”. The Psalmist said he altered his way and began to watch over and observe Jehovah God's utterances and commandments.

When we think through the words in this verse, we discover how the Psalmist experienced depression and suffering, and this altered his life. However, he humbled himself and began to observe the “word” of Jehovah God. God loves us, and He knows what it takes to save us. He sent His Son Jesus into the world to be crucified on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we believe and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and help us through our “afflictions” to learn to “keep” His commandments and law.

Next time the Psalmist says, “you are good, and do good;”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment