Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The Derision of the Proud - Psalms 119:51

In Psalms one hundred nineteen the Psalmist said, “This is my comfort in my affliction: for your word has quickened me”, and in chapter one hundred nineteen and verse fifty-one of Psalms the Psalmist said, “the proud have had me greatly in derision” where we read,

The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from your law.

The verse begins, “The proud have had me greatly in derision: The Psalmist began with the words, “the proud” or “the arrogant, insolent and presumptuous” “have had me” which means “have persisted, held and kept me, the Psalmist” “greatly in derision” or “exceedingly, abundantly and forcefully within scorn, arrogant talking and inflated boasting”. The Psalmist referred to how people who are arrogant and presumptuous kept him in abundant scorn and boasting.

The verse continues,yet have I not declined from your law.” The Psalmist added the words, “yet have I not declined” or “even still I, the Psalmist, have in no way or manner been extended, spread out, perverted and bent” “from your law” which means “separate and apart from your, Jehovah God's, direction, instruction, manner, custom and codes of law”. The Psalmist said even though people who were presumptuous and arrogant caused him abundant scorning, he was not in any way perverted and separate from Jehovah God's instructions and codes of law.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist referred to how he experienced abundant boasting and scorn from people, however, he did not separate himself from the commandments and instruction of Jehovah God. God's ways are best for us, and when we yield our lives to Him through His Son Jesus who died on the cross for our sins, we will be forgiven of our sins, granted everlasting life and be kept in the “word of God” even when people who are arrogant rise up against us.

Next time the Psalmist says, “I remembered your judgments of old, O LORD”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment