Monday, September 2, 2024

Heart Not Haughty and Eyes not Lofty - Psalms 131:1

Psalms one hundred thirty one begins with the phrase, “[[A Song of degrees of David.]]” which breaks down, “A Song” or “a musical or lyrical ode” “of degrees” which means “pertaining to steps, stairs and ascents” “of David” or “belonging to David whose name means blessed and was the second king of Israel”, and in verse one David said, “LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty” where we read,

LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty:

neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.

The verse begins, “LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty: David began with the words, “LORD, my heart” or “Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God, my, David's, soul, mind, will, desires, conscience, living being and seat of emotions and passions” “is not haughty” which means “does in no way or manner exist as high, exalted, lofty and proud”, “nor my eyes lofty” or “no and not in any way my, David's, physical eyes or mental and spiritual faculties, raised up, set on high, uplifted and exalted”. David declared that his soul, mind and will were in no way proud nor was his physical or mental vision exalted.

The verse continues, “neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me. David added the words, “neither do I exercise” or “no and not in any way do I, David, proceed, traverse or lead” “myself” which means “my, David's, own self” “in great matters” or “within large, intense and loud acts and deeds”, “or in things” which means “or within acts and deeds” “too high for me” or “too marvelous, wonderful, surpassing and extraordinary for me, David”. David said he did not lead or proceed in large and intense acts and deeds that were surpassing and extraordinary for him.

When we consider the words in this verse, we learn how David carried his humility into whatever he did. David did not engage himself within prideful and extraordinary acts because his soul was in proper position with Jehovah God. Solomon wrote, “Pride goes before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall” (See Proverbs 16:18), and Jesus said, “every one that exalts himself shall be abased; and he that humbles himself shall be exalted” (Luke 18;14). Anyone who comes to God must come in humility. God sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. This was one of the greatest acts of humility that the world will ever see. (See Philippians 2:8) When we surrender our lives to Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and teach us not to involve ourselves in acts and deeds that are too intense, “lofty” and extraordinary for us.

Next time David says, “Surely I have behaved and quieted myself”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment