Wednesday, July 10, 2024

All Nations Compassed Me - Psalms 118:10

In Psalms one hundred eighteen the Psalmist said, “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? The LORD takes my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes”, and in chapter one hundred eighteen and verse ten of Psalms the Psalmist said, “all nations compassed me about” where we read,

All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them.

The verse begins with the words, All nations compassed me about: The Psalmist began with the words, “all nations” or “each, every, the whole and everyone of the people groups, non-Hebrew people, Gentiles and heathens” “compassed me about” which means “circled, surrounded and assembled around me, the Psalmist”. The Psalmist shared how all the people in the world surrounded him.

The verse goes on to say, “but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them.” The Psalmist continued with the words, “but in the name” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover within the fame, reputation and glory” “of the LORD” which means “belonging to Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name of the One True God” “will I destroy them” or “shall I, the Psalmist, circumcise, cut down and curtail them, the nations who surrounded the Psalmist”. The Psalmist said with the presence of the fame, reputation and glory of Jehovah God he would cut down and curtail the surrounding nations.

When we think through the Psalmist's words in this verse, we see how he felt like the whole world was against him. Even so, with Jehovah God by his side, the Psalmist would be successful in cutting down all of them. God and one person are a majority, and He desires to have this type of personal relationship with everyone through His Son Jesus. God sent Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we yield our lives to Him as our “Lord and Savior”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and defeat every people group who rise up in opposition to us and Him.

Next time the Psalmist repeats the phrase, “they compassed me about”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment