Wednesday, July 10, 2024

They Compassed Me Again - Psalms 118:11

In Psalms one hundred eighteen the Psalmist said, “All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them.”, and in chapter one hundred eighteen and verse eleven of Psalms the Psalmist repeated the phrase, “they compassed me about” where we read,

They compassed me about; yes, they compassed me about:

but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.

The verse begins with the words, They compassed me about; yes, they compassed me about: The Psalmist began with the words, “they compassed me about” or “they, the nations that surrounded the Psalmist, circled around me, the Psalmist”; “yes, they compassed me about” which means “even so and indeed, they, the nations encircled, surrounded and circled about the Psalmist”. The Psalmist repeated the idea of the “nations” surrounding and encircling him.

The verse continues, “but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.” The Psalmist added the words, “but in the name” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover within the fame, reputation and glory” “of the LORD” which means “belonging to Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God” “will I destroy them” or “shall I, the Psalmist, circumcise, cut down and curtail them, the nations who surrounded the Psalmist”. The Psalmist repeated the idea of him cutting down the “nations” that surrounded him within the fame, reputation and glory of Jehovah God.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how the Psalmist repeated the idea of the “nations” encircling him, and still, he knew he would cut them down with the reputation of Jehovah God. God is greater than any person or nation, and putting our faith and confidence in Him makes us stronger than any opposition that rises against us. God sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and thereby not only did He defeat sin, death and the grave, but He also “destroyed” all enemies that rise up against those who believe in Him. When we surrender our lives to Jesus, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and become our protector and defense against all those who surround us.

Next time the Psalmist says, “they compassed me about like bees”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment