Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Calling to the LORD in Distress - Psalms 118:5

In Psalms one hundred eighteen the Psalmist said, “Let Israel now say, that his mercy endures for ever. Let the house of Aaron now say, that his mercy endures for ever. Let them now that fear the LORD say, that his mercy endures for ever”, and in chapter one hundred eighteen and verse five of Psalms the Psalmist said, “I called upon the LORD in distress” where we read,

I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place.

The verse begins with the words, I called upon the LORD in distress: The Psalmist began with the words, “I called upon the LORD” or “I, the Psalmist, cried out, shouted aloud, proclaimed and uttered a loud sound toward Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name of the One True God”“in distress” which means “while within straits and pains”. The Psalmist shared how he cried out to Jehovah God while he was in pain and dire straits.

The verse goes on to say, “the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place.” The Psalmist continued with the words, “the LORD” or “Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God” “answered me” which means “spoke, responded and paid attention to me, the Psalmist”, “and set me” or “and put, placed, fixed and established me, the Psalmist” “in a large place” which means “within a broad, roomy, wide and expansive location”. The Psalmist said Jehovah God responded to his cry and established him in an expansive location.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how the Psalmist was in a state of trouble and pain when he cried out to Jehovah God. God responded to the Psalmist's loud shout and put him in a fixed and established location. God knows how to care for His own, and He desires to have a personal intimate relationship with every person through His Son Jesus who died on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we yield our lives to Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and respond to us when we call out to Him in our “distress”.

Next time the Psalmist says, “the LORD is on my side”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment