Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Compassed About Like Bees - Psalms 118:12

In Psalms one hundred eighteen the Psalmist said, “All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them. They compassed me about; yes, they compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them”, and in chapter one hundred eighteen and verse twelve of Psalms the Psalmist said, “they compassed me about like bees” where we read,

They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns:

for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.

The verse begins with the words, They compassed me about like bees; The Psalmist began with the words, “they compassed me about” or “they, the nations that surrounded the Psalmist, circled around me, the Psalmist” “like bees” which means “similar and in likeness to bee insects”. The Psalmist said the nations who surrounded him were similar to swarming “bees”.

The verse goes on to say, “they are quenched as the fire of thorns:” The Psalmist continued with the words, “they are quenched” or “they, the nations that surrounded the Psalmist, exist as extinguished, made extinct and dried up” “as the fire of thorns” which means “like and similar to burning flames from pricking thorn bushes”. The Psalmist said the nations who surrounded him are extinguished like the burning flames that come from thorn bushes.

Finally the verse says, “for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.” The Psalmist finished this verse with the words, “for in the name” or “because, since and on account that within the fame, reputation and glory” “of the LORD” which means “belonging to Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God” “I will destroy them” or “I, the Psalmist, shall circumcise, cut down and curtail them, the nations who surrounded the Psalmist”. The Psalmist said because of the fame, reputation and glory of Jehovah God he would cut down and curtain the nations who circled about him.

When we think through the Psalmist's words in this verse, we learn how he felt like “all nations” were swarming about him like “bees”, and they would be extinguished when he put his faith and confidence in the faithfulness of Jehovah God. God becomes the protector and provider for everyone who comes to Him through His Son Jesus whom He sent into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we yield our lives to Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and protect us as He becomes our defense against all people who rise up in opposition against us and Him.

Next time the Psalmist says to the nations, “you have thrust sore at me that I might fall”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".

 








No comments:

Post a Comment