Thursday, July 11, 2024

Thrust Sore at Me - Psalms 118:13

In Psalms one hundred eighteen the Psalmist said, “All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them. They compassed me about; yes, they compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them. They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them”, and in chapter one hundred eighteen and verse thirteen of Psalms the Psalmist said, “you have thrust sore at me that I might fall” where we read,

You have thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the LORD helped me.

The verse begins with the words, You have thrust sore at me that I might fall:” The Psalmist began with the words, “you have thrust sore at me” or “you, nations that compassed the Psalmist, have pushed, overflowed, driven away and thrust violently toward me, the Psalmist” “that I might fall” which means “that I, the Psalmist, might be cast down, prostrated, wasted away and made inferior”. The Psalmist referred to the way the nations who surround him pushed him so he would be cast down and made inferior.

The verse continues, “but the LORD helped me.” The Psalmist added the words, “but the LORD” or “however, notwithstanding, nonetheless and moreover Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God” “helped me” which means “succored, gave aid and assisted me, the Psalmist”. The Psalmist said Jehovah God gave him aid when the nations who compassed him pushed him so that he would be made inferior.

When we consider the words in this verse, we learn how the Psalmist recognized the ill-will of the nations who surrounded him. Although they desired to destroy him, Jehovah God was on the Psalmist's side and would be his defense. No one, people or nation, is stronger than Jehovah God, and because He desires a personal relationship with us through His Son Jesus, He sent Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. When we believe and trust in Jesus as our “Lord and Savior”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and “help” us when the opposition encircles us from every side.

Next time the Psalmist says, “the LORD is my strength and song”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".

 








No comments:

Post a Comment